Acknowledgement of paternity
The acknowledgement of paternity in relation to a child can be declared and certified in every registry or youth welfare office. If, however, the joint custody of the child´s parents shall be established at the same time, the declaration can only be realised at the youth welfare offices. The declarations can already be submitted when the child is not yet born.
§ 44 Law of Civil Status (Personenstandsgesetz, PStG) as well as §§ 1594 ff. German Civil Code (Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch, BGB)
The registrars are happy to advise you.
- identity card or passport of the acknowledging Person
- birth certificate of the child
- birth certificate of the child´s father
- certificate about the marital status of the child´s mother
- birth certificate in case of single persons
- marriage certificate and certificate of the dissolution of the marriage in case of divorcees and widows by legally binding divorce decree or death certificate of the Partner.