Municipal administration A – Z

Saxony Service-Portal – Amt 24

Back to overview


General information

In order to get married, the marriage has to be registered at the registry office at the residence of one of the two fiancées.
Specific regulations, which shall be inquired at the registry office, apply for foreign citizens corresponding to citizenship and circumstances in life.


The registrars are happy to advise you.

Legal bases

§§ 11 ff. Law of Civil Status (Personenstandsgesetz, PStG) as well as §§ 1310 to 1312 German Civil Code (Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch, BGB)

Necessary documents

Please inquire the necessary documents at the registry office as these are very different depending on the circumstances in life. The information can be given to one of the two fiancées. In general:

  • valid identity card or passport
  • certified copy from the natal register
  • residence certificate (with indication of the marital status)
  • Birth certificate of the joint children.

In case of previous marriages the marriage as well as the dissolution of the marriage must be certified.